Beyond stainless steel – an online workshop on nickel alloys for industrial applications
The Southern African Stainless Steel Development Association (Sassda) is proud to announce a brand new CPD accredited half-day online workshop Beyond Stainless Steel that will take place on Wednesday 7th September 2022. This SAIMechE validated, webinar style, course will focus on the exciting high nickel-containing stainless steel options that are set to change the future of the industry as we know it.
These options are used in industrial applications that require properties that normal grades of stainless steel cannot meet. Although a class of material on their own, these ‘super’ grades are viewed as a part of the stainless steel extended family tree. This workshop will inform specifiers, users, fabricators and educators about the features, benefits and limitations of nickel and its alloys which may be used for corrosion and high-temperature applications.
The half-day CPD recognised online course will have the following modules:
- Understanding stainless steel: a review of stainless steel grades and the corrosion mechanisms that are most relevant to them in general industry
- Nickel and its alloys: a review of nickel alloys for corrosion resisting applications including an overview of the metallurgy of the alloys and the corrosive media in which they may be used. This module will include relevant industry case studies
- Nickel and corrosion: a review of alloys which have an insufficient amount of nickel to be classed as nickel alloys, yet they are more highly alloyed than the stainless steel with which attendees may be familiar.
- Nickel, high temperatures and corrosion: High temperature service is a significant application for stainless steels and nickel alloys. In this module, we consider the damage mechanisms that may apply in high temperature service and review the appropriate alloys including an overview of their composition and its effect on the performance of the alloy. This section includes practical examples.
- Fabrication considerations: a brief discussion relating to the use and working of nickel alloys.
The Sassda Beyond Stainless workshop has been validated by SAIMechE, and participants may claim zero point five (0.5) CPD credits in Category 1 for attending this activity.
To join us for this exciting event click here