The Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF) has apologised for the break in its network which has affected plans to capture the May Covid-19 Temporary Employer/Employee Relief Scheme (TERS) online applications.
The system, which has been undergoing test runs since last week, was scheduled to go live on May 26, but a damaged fibre link between the UIF’s offices and the State Information and Technology Agency (Sita) disrupted those plans.
“We would like to apologise to all our stakeholders and particularly our clients for this unfortunate turn of events and the resultant delays. We are doing everything in our power to ensure that the problem is resolved today so that we can start processing May applications immediately,” says UIF commissioner Teboho Maruping.
The UIF says it will ensure that once the link has been restored, it will do “all it can to try and catch up on the time lost”. The UIF’s information and communication technology system development team is on standby to ensure that as soon as the connectivity is re-established the system goes live.
A public announcement will be made once the system has been restored.