https://www.engineeringnews.co.za
Business|Financial|SECURITY|Training
Business|Financial|SECURITY|Training
business|financial|security|training

South African companies' cyber-preparedness lacking

23rd April 2021

By: Schalk Burger

Creamer Media Senior Deputy Editor

     

Font size: - +

Email security and cyber-resilience company Mimecast's '2021 State of Email Security' report showed that 47% of South African companies surveyed were infected by ransomware during 2020 and that 48% of South African organisations reported significant increases in the volume of email, but 12% still do not have any email security in place.

Phishing attacks surged by 57% since the pandemic began.

The companies that suffered ransomware attacks in 2020 experienced an average of seven days of downtime. More than half, 53%, of South African ransomware victims paid threat actor ransom demands, but only 60% of those were able to recover their data. The remaining 40% never saw their data again, despite paying the ransom, says Mimecast cybersecurity expert Brian Pinnock.

Additionally, 85% of South African respondents indicated that their companies had experienced a business disruption, financial loss or other setback in 2020 owing to a lack of cyber-preparedness, and identified ransomware as the chief culprit behind these disruptions.

"Our latest research shows that organisations are aware of their vulnerabilities, but are not making a commitment to implement technologies and conduct training that would improve their resilience against ransomware, phishing and other email-borne attack types," says Pinnock.

The pandemic-driven digital transformation of work has led to a huge increase in the volume of emails and email-borne threats across the globe, he points out.

"Organisations' cyber-preparedness is not keeping pace with the efforts of cybercriminals. The disruptive impact of the pandemic on the world of work and the growing digitisation of our daily lives have created prime conditions for cybercriminals and South African organisations are under immense pressure to urgently build greater cyber-resilience or risk significant damage from cyberattacks in the coming year," he emphasises.

Edited by Chanel de Bruyn
Creamer Media Senior Deputy Editor Online

Comments

Showroom

Alco-Safe
Alco-Safe

Lion Alcoblow ® - High speed breathalyser

VISIT SHOWROOM 
Weir Minerals Africa and Middle East
Weir Minerals Africa and Middle East

Weir Minerals Europe, Middle East and Africa is a global supplier of excellent minerals solutions, including pumps, valves, hydrocyclones,...

VISIT SHOWROOM 

Latest Multimedia

sponsored by

Photo of Martin Creamer
On-The-Air (24/05/2024)
24th May 2024 By: Martin Creamer
Magazine round up | 24 May 2024
Magazine round up | 24 May 2024
24th May 2024

Option 1 (equivalent of R125 a month):

Receive a weekly copy of Creamer Media's Engineering News & Mining Weekly magazine
(print copy for those in South Africa and e-magazine for those outside of South Africa)
Receive daily email newsletters
Access to full search results
Access archive of magazine back copies
Access to Projects in Progress
Access to ONE Research Report of your choice in PDF format

Option 2 (equivalent of R375 a month):

All benefits from Option 1
PLUS
Access to Creamer Media's Research Channel Africa for ALL Research Reports, in PDF format, on various industrial and mining sectors including Electricity; Water; Energy Transition; Hydrogen; Roads, Rail and Ports; Coal; Gold; Platinum; Battery Metals; etc.

Already a subscriber?

Forgotten your password?

MAGAZINE & ONLINE

SUBSCRIBE

RESEARCH CHANNEL AFRICA

SUBSCRIBE

CORPORATE PACKAGES

CLICK FOR A QUOTATION







sq:0.357 0.417s - 166pq - 2rq
Subscribe Now