A new Industrial Internet of Things- (IIoT-) ready controller for logic and motion applications has been launched.
The controller from Schneider Electric was announced as a powerful new solution for the smart-machine era.
Features of the Modicon M262 controller include:
- IIoT-ready with direct connectivity to the cloud and cybersecurity, with no gateways required
- Reduced commissioning time, with embedded ‘plug & work’ through machine assistant
- Increased machine uptime owing to its machine adviser and EcoStruxure-augmented operator adviser.
In addition, the new controller promises intuitive, scalable and reliable machine integration into the Industry 4.0 environment, machine-to-device, machine-to-human, machine-to-machine, machine-to-plant or machine-directly-to-cloud.
The controller embeds cybersecurity features and encryption protocols to provide direct cloud connectivity and digital services thanks to its two ready-to-work and independent embedded ethernet ports.
The company lists Modicon M262’s key benefits as:
- Connectivity: Up to 5 one-to-one independent ethernet networks and cyber-secured cloud connectivity options for easy integration into the plant with open protocols, including OPC UA, PackML, and SQL, or to the cloud with MQTT, JSON or HTTPs requests (API).
- Efficiency: With 4 to 16 synchronized axes with scalable cycle time down to 1 ms and a 3 ns/inst processing speed independent from communication tasks, the controller is designed to respond to performance-demanding motion applications. It helps with simplifying machine architectures and field bus wiring and, with Machine Assistant webserver technology, no software is required for the discovery of network devices, commissioning and diagnostics.
- Flexibility: The controller addresses logic application needs, as an ‘all-in-one’ motion controller, embedding the features of motion bus, encoder and touch probes. Safety can be modular or embedded. With a choice between optimised and performance I/O systems, the controller offers versatile architectures around ethernet/IP and/or Sercos, under a single software application, namely the EcoStruxure Machine Expert.
- Protection: With an embedded safety solution, the controller complies with the safety regulations up to SIL3. It offers embedded encrypted communication, network separation, Achilles certification and other cybersecurity features.
The Modicon M262 Controller is part of Schneider Electric’s EcoStruxure Machine, open, an interoperable, IoT-enabled system architecture and platform. EcoStruxure Machine is designed to empower machine builders and original-equipment manufacturers (OEMs) to compete and innovate in the new, digital era by maximising productivity and generating additional revenue streams from new business opportunities.
The EcoStruxure Machine Advisor is a digital tool for machine builders and can be used to gain insight into machines. It allows OEMs to enable asset monitoring and predictive maintenance, with the aim of expanding possibilities for generating end-user services revenue.
EcoStruxure aims to leverage advancements in IoT, mobility, sensing, cloud, analytics, and cybersecurity to deliver innovation at every level, including connected products, edge control and applications, analytics and services. Schneider Electric states that its EcoStruxure platform has been deployed in over 480 000 sites, with the support of more than 20 000 system integrators and developers, connecting over 1.6-million assets under management through at least 40 digital services.