Manufacturer of com-plete lifting systems Gunnebo Industries South Africa is acquiring a number of distribution partners throughout sub-Saharan Africa.
Gunnebo Industries South Africa MD Johan Lilja says that the company sees huge potential for its chain and component products in the oil and gas industries, as well as in the mining sectors in countries such as Angola, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Botswana and Nigeria.
He says that the company views these countries as expansive markets and it is for this reason that Gunnebo Industries is setting up dis-tribution partners in other countries such as Kenya, Mozambique, Namibia and Zambia.
In Namibia, the company has signed up with two distribution partners in Walvis Bay and Windhoek. In Kenya, the company also has a partnership with East Africa Chain to supply the East African region. Lilja says that this is a new partnership and that the first consignment of stock is due to be delivered this month.
Meanwhile, the company is engaged in negotiations with potential distributors in Zambia.
“Slowly, but surely, we are establishing a good foundation for supply into the sub-Saharan region,” says Lilja.
He says that around 70% of the company’s products are imported into South Africa from either one of Gunnebo Industries’ five factories in Sweden, Poland and Norway. The other 30% is manufactured at the company’s factory in Benrose, south of Johannesburg, which mainly consists of polyester products, such as slings and safety harnesses.
Lilja says that the highest contributor to the company’s turnover is its chain and component products. However, in terms of the highest number of units sold, the polyester slings far outweigh the chain and component products.
World’s Largest Crane
Lilja says that the company’s involvement in one of the world’s biggest floating cranes, the Asian Hercules II, could be considered its most prestigious project.
The crane has a lifting capacity of up to 3 200 t and the company supplied the crane with its lifting hook, lifting block and all other associated lifting equipment.
The Asian Hercules crane is mounted on a barge, which is over 73,15 m long and more than 39,62 m wide and weighing more than 5 900 t.
Meanwhile, the company has started to offer its customers and business partners online service certificates and training seminars.
Further, a dedicated Johan-nesburg-based service van is available to customers that require on-site inspection and repairs.
Lilja says that, despite the economic turndown, the company has been able to deliver on its promises to its customers over the last year. He adds that the company remains positive and intends to grow significantly.
Meanwhile, Gunnebo Lift-ing’s current president Urban Hedman has announced his resignation; his successor, Bengt Sjoholm, took office at the beginning of this month.