Photo by: Duane Daws
No World Bank funds were put at risk by the Hitachi contract for Eskom's Medupi project, the financial institution said on Tuesday after concluding its investigation into the matter.
This comes after DA leader Mmusi Maimane wrote to the World Bank Integrity Vice President Leonard McCarthy, requesting a full investigation into the involvement of the ANC's investment arm, Chancellor House.
World Bank Country Director for South Africa Guang Zhe Chen told News24 that the World Bank's Integrity Unit had assessed the matter and concluded that none of their funds had been put at risk.
"Given that no World Bank funds were involved in the Hitachi contract, an investigation by the World Bank into the contract is not warranted," said Zhe Chen.