Delta is marking its 15th year of nonstop service from South Africa by scheduling its state-of-the-art Airbus A350-900neo on flights between Johannesburg and Atlanta when the route resumes effective 2 August 2021. The service, first launched by Delta on 4 December 2006, will initially operate three times weekly, offering customers a choice of 150 destinations across the United States via Delta’s largest hub.
“We are proud of our airline’s 15-year history in South Africa and excited that Delta’s restart between Johannesburg and the U.S. is with our flagship aircraft, offering customers an enhanced onboard experience wherever they sit,” said Amy Martin, Delta’s Managing Director – Network Planning. “As well as offering more onboard comfort combined with the great service customers can expect from Delta, the aircraft is 25% more fuel efficient than the Boeing 777 it replaces, helping reduce carbon emissions on our longest route.”
Featuring all four Delta cabin experiences, highlights of the new A350 for customers flying between Johannesburg and Atlanta include:
- Delta One Suites – a personalized experience, with a full-height door for enhanced privacy and comfort, each suite features a fully flat-bed seat with direct aisle access
- Delta Premium Select – more personal space, wider seats with more legroom and recline, adjustable leg and head rests and an elevated onboard service
- Delta Comfort+ – a seat at the front of Main Cabin, with allocated overhead storage for carry-on items
- High-resolution in-seat entertainment screens and personal power ports for every customer, optional access to high-speed 2Ku Wi-Fi connectivity, plus free mobile messaging
- Larger windows with optimized cabin pressure, temperature and humidity and ambient lighting to help customers feel refreshed and ready to go after a long-haul flight
- For meal service, Delta offers uniquely crafted menu items that reflect regional flavors. All customers will receive a choice of entrée alongside an appetizer and dessert in addition to a full bar selection or soft drink. Customers traveling in Delta One can pre-order their meal choice on flights between South Africa and the U.S. and can look forward to favourites such as Peri Peri chicken or grilled prawns with jasmine rice
Delta’s nonstop flights between Johannesburg and Atlanta are conveniently scheduled as night-time departures. Thanks to Delta’s extensive network from its Atlanta hub, customers can fly one-stop from South Africa to cities including Los Angeles, Washington D.C., Miami and New York-JFK, arriving in time for lunch the next day. Entry to the U.S. from South Africa remains restricted except for U.S. citizens and permanent residents. Those eligible to travel can also connect via Delta’s European hubs in Amsterdam, London and Paris in conjunction with joint venture partners Air France, KLM and Virgin Atlantic, while onward connections are available in South Africa and beyond in conjunction with local partners.
More information on which destinations are open to leisure travelers and where Delta is flying are available via the Delta Discover Map on delta.com. Customers are encouraged to review entry requirements for their destination, including whether a vaccination certificate or negative COVID-19 test is required, prior to travel.
"We are excited to welcome Delta back to South Africa. North America is a key market for us and we are confident that this Delta non-stop flight will boost South Africa's efforts to grow business and leisure tourists' arrivals out of this market,” said Acting CEO of South African Tourism, Sthembiso Dlamini.
“South Africa is a country rich in history and vibrant culture and very warm people. South Africans are ready to welcome back visitors from across the world and we are definitely open for business. We look forward to many years of success on this route, as we continue to share the variety of experiences with all travelers.”
Delta’s service between Johannesburg and Atlanta will operate as follows:
|Flight||Departure||Arrival||Days of the week|
|DL201||Johannesburg at 22:55||Atlanta at 09:15||Monday, Thursday, Saturday|
|DL200||Atlanta at 19:00||
Johannesburg at 16:30 (next day)
|Wednesday, Friday, Sunday|
Delta prioritizes the health and safety of customers and employees and the communities it serves. In addition to safer travel as part of the Delta CareStandard, all customers flying between South Africa and the U.S. will enjoy hundreds of new in-flight entertainment options on personal seat-back screens. Delta’s award-winning customer experience also includes touchless technology via the Fly Delta app.