Meyerton-based steel tank manufacturer Structa Technology is currently rolling out a water infrastructure build programme that supports local municipalities, water utilities, schools, hospitals and clinics.
As a member of the Structa Group, Structa Technology proudly services the government by assisting it in the provision of much-needed water storage to rural communities throughout South Africa.
“Over the years, our 40-year proprietary product, Prestank, has proven to be a hygienically safe, cost effective and reliable water-storage solution for communities, commercial sectors, private sectors and even for personalised storage,” says Structa Technology Prestank director Rodney Cory
“We are one of the preferred suppliers of water storage tanks for municipal authorities and mines, as we are known as a supplier who always strives to deliver our water tanks on time and within budget, adhering to the best quality standards,” says Cory, adding that Structa Technology’s Prestank water storage tank is the ideal water storage solution for large volumes of water – from 10 000 ℓ and up.
Cory notes, however, that the company has improved its basket of service offerings for municipalities by introducing its newly patented water storage tank.
“Through our new storage tank, we have responded to the need to also offer our government a patented water storage solution for lower volumes of water – up to 10 000 ℓ ¬– as an alternative, durable, robust and cost-effective solution, with minimal maintenance required,” says Cory, adding that the Roddy Tank is ideally suited for smaller rural villages, schools and clinics.
The Roddy Tank is a sectional round galvanised water storage tank that offers 3 900 ℓ, 7 200 ℓ and 10 000 ℓ capacities. However, if the client requires more than 10 000 ℓ – for example, if a population in a village grows and requires a bigger water storage tank – then this patented system allows for the user to expand the capacity of the water storage tank.
“There is, therefore, no need to replace the original water storage tank with a bigger water storage tank,” says Cory, adding that the Roddy Tank can remain on ground level or on a stand of 5 m or 10 m.
How does Structa Technology partner with municipalities to improve service delivery?
Structa Technology provides municipalities with a cost-effective and durable product. The company’s philosophy is to partner with the local contractors of the area to provide the foundations of tank installations, thereby supporting the respective municipality’s localisation policy and assisting with much-needed job creation for locals in the area.
What makes Structa Technology’s products and services an ideal solution for South Africa?
Structa Technology offers local water utilities and municipalities two durable and cost-effective water-storage products, namely the Roddy Tank, for lower water volumes, and the Prestank. for water volumes above 10 000ℓ).
This product can be used for various water-storage applications, including temporary or permanent installations at mines, power stations, building sites, hospitals, water utilities, municipalities, rural communities and farms.
The Structa Prestanks are fully customisable, high-quality water storage solutions that are manufactured according to SANS guidelines and meet South Africa’s hot-dipped galvanising requirements.
There are also many benefits to choosing Prestanks:
- It features a variety of construction elements and an infinite range of sizes and configurations to meet clients’ specifications. These include walkway options and staircases, as well as roof options.
- The profile panel sections provide excellent strength properties and are structurally sound for storing water. The stand is designed strictly in accordance with SANS 10160 for structural loading and SANS 10162 for structural steel design. Tanks mounted on steel towers above ground level have an aesthetically pleasing appearance.
- Another significant advantage of the sectional tank design is that it facilitates easier handling and transportation over long distances to remote areas, regardless of the final dimensions of the assembled unit.
- On-site assembly is quickly achieved without the need for sophisticated tooling methods.
- Minimum maintenance is required as the galvanised steel panels resist weathering from the elements while maintaining the integrity of the water it holds and protecting it from most forms of contamination.
- Access to the water tank can be restricted by means of a lockable, ventilated access cover, providing safety and peace of mind for clients.
Meanwhile Structa’s pressed-steel sectional tanks are hot-dip galvanised for corrosion control in accordance with SANS 121 (or ISO 1461) galvanizing standards. The thickness of the hot-dip galvanising coat is applied within a range of 80 to 100 µm. This is more than five times the thickness of zinc on pregalvanized corrugated steel cylindrical tanks. The purpose is to ensure extended maintenance-free life when water with aggressively corrosive properties needs to be stored.
The Roddy Tank
This product can be used for lower volume water storage of up to 10 000 ℓ-applications, such as rural water storage, domestic water storage, industrial water storage as well as agricultural water storage.
The advantages of using the Roddy Tank are as follows:
- Its steel tank features a robust patented design.
- The Roddy Tank lasts up to 40 years and requires minimal maintenance.
- It is easily transported and erected, featuring stacked segments.
- The Roddy Tank also features an inspection access hatch.
- The ground-level tanks require minimal foundations, such as simple concrete slab.
- The tank’s volume can easily be increased.
To which safety standards do Structa Technology’s products and services adhere?
Our Prestank and Roddy Tank adhere to the following design codes: SANS10160 for structural loading and SANS 10162 for structural steel design.
How do Structa Technology’s products and services assist with revenue collection, which is a primary concern among municipalities?
Our company provides municipalities with water infrastructure so that they can provide the communities with access to water in a controlled environment. Our company is not involved in the revenue collection process of the municipality at all.
Given the general concern about the state of South Africa’s infrastructure, what is the broad picture of Structa Technology’s potential impact on the country’s ability to sustain itself and improve its revenue-generating capacities?
Structa Technology is geared to assist government with its water infrastructure and maintenance programme.
As a result of our continuous commitment to technological advancements, we are able to offer municipalities more cost effective and durable solutions for water storage. We have, therefore, developed our new patented-design Roddy Water Storage tank, which offers municipalities an alternative, more robust and cost-effective solution in smaller rural villages, schools and clinics.
The Structa Group of companies comprises nine subsidiaries, which are active in the manufacturing and supply of structural steel products for the water, electrification and telecommunications infrastructure, mining, petrochemicals and industrial sectors.
Tel: +27 16 362 9100
Address: 2 Dutton Road, Meyerton