https://www.engineeringnews.co.za

Chinese miner to start copper output in Eritrea by next year

24th August 2018

By: Bloomberg

  

Font size: - +

ADDIS ABABA – A unit of Sichuan Road & Bridge Co. will start producing copper, zinc, gold and silver at a mine in Eritrea by early next year, helping diversify the country’s agrarian economy, a mines ministry official said.

The project will add to two operating mines in the Horn of Africa nation, which is reemerging as an investor destination after a rapprochement with neighboring Ethiopia last month ended two decades of political tensions.

Sichuan Road & Bridge Mining Investment Development Corp. bought 60% of the Asmara Mining Share Co. for $65-million from Sunridge Gold Corp. in 2016. Eritrea’s government owns the remaining 40% of AMSC, which plans to mine four deposits outside the capital, Asmara, known as Emba Derho, Adi Nefas, Gupo and Debarwa.

“We expect by the first quarter of 2019 it will start,” Alem Kibreab, director-general of mines in the Energy and Mines Ministry, said in an interview in Asmara. “Operations will be in phases: the first phase will be direct shipments of high-grade copper ore.”

The mine is expected to have a life of 17 years, producing an estimated 381 000 metric tons of copper, 850 000 tons of zinc, 436 000 ounces of gold and 11-million ounces of silver, according to a ministry presentation provided by Alem.

Click here to read a related article about a proposed port in Eritrea

Eritrea has two producing mines – Bisha, which produces gold, copper and zinc and is 60% owned by Nevsun Resources, and the Zara gold mine 60% owned by Shanghai Sfeco Group of China. Construction of another mine, the Colluli potash mine jointly owned by Australia’s Danakali and the government, is expected to start later this year.

Mines and quarrying employ 15 330 in Eritrea, about 1.1% of its labor force, according government data. The government is studying other ways to diversify the economy, with “potential areas of intervention” including natural resources, agro-industry, fisheries and infrastructure development, Labor and Human Welfare Minister Luul Gebreab said in a separate interview.

“We are an agricultural state,” Luul said. “The public sector is the second-largest employer. We have to change this status quo.”

Edited by Bloomberg

Comments

Latest Multimedia

Showroom

Schauenburg SmartMine IoT
Schauenburg SmartMine IoT

SmartMine IoT has been developed with the mining industry in mind, to provides our customers with powerful business intelligence and data modelling...

VISIT SHOWROOM 
Multotec
Multotec

Multotec, recognised industry leaders in metallurgy and process engineering help mining houses across the world process minerals more efficiently,...

VISIT SHOWROOM 

Latest Multimedia

sponsored by

Option 1 (equivalent of R125 a month):

Receive a weekly copy of Creamer Media's Engineering News & Mining Weekly magazine
(print copy for those in South Africa and e-magazine for those outside of South Africa)
Receive daily email newsletters
Access to full search results
Access archive of magazine back copies
Access to Projects in Progress
Access to ONE Research Report of your choice in PDF format

Option 2 (equivalent of R375 a month):

All benefits from Option 1
PLUS
Access to Creamer Media's Research Channel Africa for ALL Research Reports, in PDF format, on various industrial and mining sectors including Electricity; Water; Energy Transition; Hydrogen; Roads, Rail and Ports; Coal; Gold; Platinum; Battery Metals; etc.

Already a subscriber?

Forgotten your password?

MAGAZINE & ONLINE

SUBSCRIBE

RESEARCH CHANNEL AFRICA

SUBSCRIBE

CORPORATE PACKAGES

CLICK FOR A QUOTATION







sq:0.335 0.395s - 156pq - 2rq
Subscribe Now