State-owned freight logistics group Transnet has suspended four executive committee members, on full pay, to allow for unfettered investigations into allegations of misconduct.
The high-ranking officials suspended as of March 8 included Transnet Freight Rail CEO Ravi Nair, Transnet National Ports Authority CEO Shulami Qalinge and group COO Mlamuli Buthelezi and group human resources officer Nonkululeko Sishi.
Transnet said in a statement that the suspensions were deemed necessary as it would have been “almost impossible to investigate the allegations” given the positions occupied by individuals concerned.
“It is in the best interest of Transnet that they be placed on suspension on full pay with full benefits.”
The suspensions are the latest in a string of suspensions and disciplinary actions instituted since the appointment, in May last year, of a new board under the chairpersonship of Dr Popo Molefe.
Transnet announced in January that it was pursuing criminal and civil action against those who Molefe said sought to turn the organisation into a “horror show” and treated its resources as a “piggy bank”.
All criminal cases are being pursued in cooperation with the Special Investigations Unit and the Hawks, but Transnet is also pursuing civil claims worth R1.3-billion against companies and individuals, including former CEOs Siyabonga Gama and Brian Molefe and former CFOs Anoj Singh and Garry Pita.
Besides terminating its contract with Gama, Transnet had also suspended chief advanced manufacturing officer Thamsanqa Jiyane, supply chain manager Lindiwe Mdletshe and former treasurer Phetolo Robert Ramosebudi, who resigned in October.