South African Airways (SAA) confirmed on Tuesday that it was in the process of cancelling and consolidating selected local and international flights, in part to save cash. It has vowed to re-accommodate local and international fliers.
In a statement the debt-laden national carrier said the decision was part of what it sees as a "responsible strategy to conserve cash and optimise its position ahead of any further capital investment". SAA went into voluntary business rescue in December.
The flag carrier said it would be reviewing further possible flight schedule amendments over the coming days.
The decision to cancel the flights comes as the airline is still waiting to receive a promised R2-billion in funding from National Treasury to help fund its business rescue proceedings. Last week Finance Minister Tito Mboweni told journalists at the sidelines of a pre-WEF breakfast, that Treasury was still "trying to find additional financing" for the airline. The department of public enterprises, meanwhile, said on Sunday that it was working with Treasury in an effort to raise the funds.
SAA said it was working closely with its sister airline, Mango, to re-accommodate passengers on alternative services operated by both airlines to minimise disruption.
The airline said it would re-accommodate passengers on its services between Johannesburg and Frankfurt as well as London Heathrow. "Some passengers travelling to Munich, and others travelling via Munich to other destinations, will be re-accommodated for some of their journey on partner airlines in the Star Alliance to minimise delays," it said.