The controversy over money spent on upgrading President Jacob Zuma's Nkandla home was based on "misperceptions"(sic), Public Works Minister Thulas Nxesi said on Friday.
"It is not just something done by public works on its own, it is based on scientific security analysis," he told reporters in Pretoria.
While it was not common practise to comment on the president's security arrangements, the government decided to give "as many details as possible" without endangering Zuma's security.
"...It is now clear that certain parties will continue to make allegations about this project unless these serious misperceptions are refuted with facts," Nxesi said.
Earlier this week, City Press reported that R203-million of taxpayers' money would be spent on the upgrade, with Zuma paying only 5% of the bill – around R10-million.
On Monday, Democratic Alliance MP Anchen Dreyer said she wanted Nxesi to explain why his department was apparently requesting an investigation into how City Press newspaper got hold of documentary evidence of the upgrade.