The North Gauteng High Court will hear the Gauteng Freeway Improvement Project e-toll case on November 26, the Opposition to Urban Tolling Alliance (Outa), which was granted an interdict in April to stop the launch of e-tolling in Gauteng, said on Thursday.
The National Treasury is challenging the interdict, which Judge Bill Prinsloo granted days before the e-tolling system was meant to go live on April 30, in the Constitutional Court, with arguments set to be heard on August 15.
“If the [Constitutional Court] appeal is in favour of the South African National Roads Agency Limited (Sanral), it would only allow the interdict to be set aside and for tolling to start and continue until such time as the review is heard in November,” Outa said.
The anti-toll group again stressed that the high costs involved with the tolling of the roads were unreasonable, and that legislative and procedural transgressions and plans by Sanral and the government departments of Transport and Environmental Affairs were irrational.
The alliance stated that it still required considerable funding for the court battle. Last month it reported that it had raised just under R5-million for its legal challenge, almost half of the R10.8-million expected legal costs if the case runs its full course.