At Composites Engineering 2011, Huntsman Advanced Materials will be showing its latest materials, demonstrating how its track record in innovation is continuing apace and being carried into new markets, turning pioneering propositions into sustainable, commercial programmes.
Laetitia Dumora, Composite & Tooling technical support engineer at Huntsman, will be speaking in the Open Technology Forum on Day 2, 10 November, between 13.30 and 14.15. The presentation will discuss the possibilities of building an electric concept car using environmentally sustainable components and processes. This will include insight into the range of innovative solutions the company used and developed especially for the construction of the ‘U-Box’ – an electric concept car with potential to be used as an industrial site vehicle or for inner city short distance deliveries.
Latest Materials & Technology Innovations
Some of the latest technology innovations and product applications utilising rapid tooling, adhesives and structural composites will be on display.
Wind and Marine Applications
· Toughened, Germanischer Lloyd (GL) approved Araldite® adhesives utilising new chemical thixotropy processes for marine and wind energy applications.
· Epoxy resin infusion systems for large parts production.
· The ‘U-Box’ e-tool; providing information on an urban vehicle for last-mile deliveries, built using environmentally sustainable components. Huntsman developed innovative products used in each stage of the U-Box’s construction, including toughened, halogen free and fire resistant resins, flexible composite, thin barrier coatings for OLEDs and composite bonders.
· RenPaste® 4688/Ren® 4688 – Seamless modelling paste suited to a range of high temperature applications, offering superior dimensional stability.
· A composite wheel, designed for the high-performance vehicle market using a toughened Araldite® system and offering better impact resistance than metal wheels and higher fatigue resistance.
· Araldite® 2000+ for all types of plastic substrate bonding, with products from the extensive range including:
o Araldite® 2031, a general purpose toughened black epoxy adhesive offering superior structural stability and flexibility together with gap filling properties making it ideal for resilience to vibration.
o Araldite® 2060 and Araldite® 2061 – silane terminated polymer, one component, moisture curing adhesives offering superior durability.
· Araldite® AW 4858 / Hardener HW 4858 and the highly temperature resistant Araldite® AW 4859 / Hardener HW 4859 – high strength composite bonders for assembling dissimilar materials.
· Araldite® NanoTech Composite RTM system - designed to withstand shocks without developing micro-cracks, it is ideal for any sector where high stress and impact exposed parts need protection.
· Speciality components for high-end performance industrial products, including curing agents, accelerators, reactive diluents, thermoplastic polyamides and additives.
Through the continuous research and development of new materials and production technologies, Huntsman delivers to customers greater design flexibility, high performance products and reduced development and production costs.
More than 3,000 companies around the world use Huntsman adhesives, tooling materials and composite resins for design, prototyping and manufacturing. In markets such as aerospace, automotive, construction, electronics, marine, power transmission and distribution, sports equipment and wind power generation, Huntsman is leading the way.